View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2017, 08:34 PM   #7
captainpeter
Professional user

Default Re: Not possible to use DDS textures?

To see the differences between PNG, DXT5, DXT3 and DXT1 compression I have textured 4 cubes with a simple texture containing an alpha layer. (attached)

Left is PNG, then DXT5, .....

PNG uses 8 bits (256 levels) per channel RGB & A.
DXT5 uses 8 bits for alpha as well but incorporates compression for the A channel.
DXT3 contains only 4 bit uncompressed alpha showing distinct steps in transparency.
DXT1 is 1 bit alpha. Only usable for sharp masks.

The file size differences in .DDS files comes primarily from MIP-maps which are included in DDS and not in PNG. Usually X-Plane will adjust the texture size based on your rendering settings. At max settings X-Plane uses textures at original size, with every step lower in rendering settings your actual texture size for display will be halved. The process of adjusting a few hundred textures to - say - 50% takes time. By including scaled down versions of the texture in the .DDS file (MIPmaps) you significantly increase X-Plane's texture load performance.
It doesn't matter how big the file size actually is, it is primarily a question of CPU time wasted with texture adjustments.

So, for transparent textures I always prefer DXT5 over DXT3/1. There are only a few situations where DXT3 makes sense. No matter how large those files may be. They will almost always load faster than PNG due to MIPmaps.

cheers
peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	3554  

Attached Images

The X-Plane Freeware Project
captainpeter is offline   Reply With Quote