View Single Post
Old 19th July 2012, 11:36 AM   #10
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Re: Ctrl-Shift-S = Save As

With the massive number of features that Blender has, I think the requirements and the expectations are different than for your average application.

The problem I find with Blender is that it seems to rely on the key command as a first frame of reference, when the mouse should be considered for that. As visual a process as creating primitives and moving vertices is, it is easier and far more intuitive for MOST users to click-n-drag, or use buttons, rather than to have to remember some arcane command (which likely has several other combos of Shift/Ctrl and Alt that perform similar or related functions).

Especially for things like "move object in ? axis". How basic is that? Far easier to drag the object in a viewport along the X axis than to have to type in something like "M x 1.032"

AC3D has the far better approach, I think. You can simply drag the object as an intuitive first resort, and you have the option to populate the X field in the Move feature to be exact in your distance. It should be mentioned that those Move fields are also EASY TO FIND, unlike in Blender's visual overkill GUI, where you can spend minutes finding what you want... and heaven help you if what you're looking for is buried in a submenu....!!!!

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote