Thread: HMS Centaur
View Single Post
Old 7th January 2012, 06:40 AM   #3
thierry_st_malo
Professional user

Default Re: HMS Centaur

Here you are, Stiglr, as you are interested.
This is a simplified model, yet the .ac file weighs just 3 Mb. There are 174 objects, 30921 surfaces and 26491 vertices. Impossible to do with less! There are many objects that are so small as to appear negligible, but in fact their presence or their absence is very clearly felt!

Two remarks:

Ships tend to be large objects. Therefore my AC3D units are one-third of a meter. This to avoid losing details because of the limitations of my renderer's (I use POV-Ray) z-buffer.

I have written a Visual Basic Express app that I enhance as required and which I find very helpful.
First, given three numbers it creates an AC3D object representing a ladder, which has just to be imported and glued in place.
Second, it helps with the railings by creating the stanchions and placing them at even intervals along any 3D curve (polyline). That used to be a nightmare!
Third it can "glue" any object on any other one. For instance, for every porthole (there are about 70 of them in this ship) it does the necessary computations (one translation and two rotations) and "glues" it on the hull. That used to be worse than a nightmare!

That's about all, I think. Oh, sorry, I forgot: thanks for the compliment!

Thierry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PicFront.png
Views:	234
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	2498  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PicTop.png
Views:	228
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	2500