View Single Post
Old 24th May 2010, 02:34 PM   #17
lordfly

Default Re: PLUGIN: Render to Texture: Light Maps, Normal Maps, AO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa View Post
The UV map is the problem. What the render to texture tool does is write the lighting information to the texture map. If more than one face is sharing the same area of the texture, the lighting will get overwritten.

You need a "unique atlas"... all that means is that each part of the map is used by one and only one face. You can create one yourself with the TCE built into AC3D, or there are some tools that will make one for you. There's a texture tool called Ultimate Unwrap 3D that will make one automatically. There's also a freebie command-line tool from Microsoft called UVAtlas that will do it. It used to come with the DirectX SDK, dunno if you can download it separately.
Hmm; I suppose that's where I'm having the issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "proper texturing" include having the same textures going over multiple surfaces? For instance, say I have a tree made with multiple branches; they are all made of the same material (in this case, bark). Rather than having each surface have a unique texture (and thus eat gobs of memory), aren't you supposed to share pixels between surfaces to cut down on texture memory? Obviously this doesn't apply if you're doing static renders, but I'm pretty sure you have to do that for game rendering.

Thus, if this plugin requires unique UV coordinates for every surface it to do it's thing, it's kind of pointless for games, isn't it? Or am I missing something here? I'm sure I am.
lordfly is offline   Reply With Quote