View Single Post
Old 5th August 2004, 03:32 PM   #1
coanda
Expert member

Default re creating cavities with no walls......maybe?

Hi i am new here but have been using ac3d for a while now.

I can use a number of CAD programs by virtue of my profession : aero engineer.

I build aircraft for the x-plane sim and we now have the capability to use AC3D to import and export mesh data in x-planes own format.

I have a problem i hope someone can help with.

To generate a cockpit visual for an aircraft I am required to make a 'cut out' for the main windows in order to modify geometry and also to check accuracy in placement.

I have a mesh from x-plane representing the nose of the aircraft and I have an extruded poly line representing the shape of the window. in the CAD program i would normally use (solid Edge) I could tell the program to make a cutout through the whole object using the window part as the profile. this would leave somthing very similar to what AC3D can do in that it essentialy does the job but it leaves a walled cavity behind it. What I would like to do is to create a cutout with no walled cavity, a hole if you wish, using my polyline, thrugh both sides to represent the window, so that one can see into and out of the object, with no surfaces(hidden or otherwise).

Also, a feature I would like to see is for a polyline to be projected onto a mesh and have the mesh adjust itself to incorporate the projected outline.

many thanks for a great program.
coanda is offline   Reply With Quote