View Single Post
Old 28th February 2005, 03:30 AM   #5
kaelastreet
Advanced member

Hi
This may not help but... As a firm beleiver in 'box' construction, here is how I might go about a random shape with a defined thickness...

1. Create a box.
2. 'Thin' it to the defined thinness.
3. Working with Surfaces, and Vertex's, create, divide, extrude then combine, smooth and presto, any kind of random shape.

4. If the shape is simpler, I might use a boolean to create a 'void' three quarters of an inch away from the outer wall??, that would work too.

(Maya can define a tool such as a 'thickness', so can Autocad I think, but they are both BIG solutions.)

I must not forget, that what I see on the screen is only pixels, and definitions are given to it when I present it to another person. My screen cannot tell if it is 1 inch, 1 millionth of an inch, or one mile thick. AC3D may not be a solution for detailed engineering drawing to be used to drive a CNC machine, but it might be I guess, but it is very good at completing, creating and giving opportunities and ideas life, a life that otherwise might never exist.

Sorry for the rambling, its too early in the day for intelligent thought. (pre 09:00 hours)
kaelastreet is offline   Reply With Quote