View Single Post
Old 25th July 2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Clay
Professional user

Default Re: How to bring Objects from AC3D to Secondlife ??

Hi Mike. Ok lets see if I can answer some of your questions. First the Tri creator for second life is an ok featrure if you just want to see the object you created in SL. The main problem with it is it requires you to have lots of prims to rez in world since it uses polygon triangles to recreate the object.
Not sure what you mean by you "bought" modlels. I have seen 3d models for sale on some sites but have never gotten any to know just how youd try to use in
Second Life. I can tell you from hours of experience in creating models for SL, Second Life can be a tricky porgram. As much as I love it, for 3d models its can be a royal pain at times. What I mean by that is you really have to tweek the objects you create in AC3D to look correct in Second Life. Depending on the way each obbjet is rotated in AC and how many times you devide it ect ect.
Now about the compression I mean this, When you go to upload at TGA file into SL they have a little box in the corner and for the life of me i never remember what it says but its compression something. You just check that box before you spend the money to upload.
You are correct when you say there is not upload button for 3D models. That would make my job as builder in Second Life way too easy. LOL This is why when I build a model for SL I tend to build the parts I need one part at a time. I know this may be strange but it works. In order to upload into second life to work You must save one part at a time then upload ONE part at a time.
It is a long process I know but it works and you must have patients. IIf you try to upload multi parts It will not work.
So this is why I cant really show people in here how the model looks in AC3D because I dont put it together in AC. On occation I will create a couple pieces together. When you do that I have to first save the work together as a .ac file. This is all of it together. Then I have to delete all but one part at a time. Say airplane fuslage. I save that by itself as a .ac then I go to export and export as normal second life sculpty which saves it as a .tga file. Then reopen my aircraft .ac file and start delete all but say the wing section. Again save the wing as a seperate .ac file. then export for Second life as a normalized sculpty which is a .tga file. If this sounds like a long process that is because it is. Take patients of a saint.
So this is why I choose to build really just the parts I need for my model in Second Life. So in this example What i do is build my aircraft fuslage. I concentrate on its shape and size. I get it into Second life. See if i want to adjust any parts of it. If I like then i move to lets say the wing. I start modeling and creating a new wing in AC3D. I try to do one wing left and right if I can but that doesnt always look good and I end up making left and right seperate for better smoother details. Then save as . ac and then the .tga for SL. Upload and then "glue" the wing sections to my model. In fact a lot of times I only need to build half of the model in AC3D because Second Life allows you to duplicate the part and then Mirror the image So you have a perfect copy of the opposite side.
It has taken me a time and practice with AC3D to be able to create just the right shapes I need for each model, but its been well worth the time and effort. You must think of this as model building for Second Life. One part at a time. just like the ones we built as kids. Also in SL you have to know what the limitation are in order to make your object move as a vehical. Its way more then just put together a bunch of objects together then saying ok i want it to fly.
Im sure you understand that part just info for those that don't. I have learned the way around the limits. Your vehical can only be a total of 31 parts (prims) linked together.So i build the base for my model plane. Fuslage,wings,tail, horizontal and viertical stabalizers,seats. Usually the basic shape I can. After that all the detail for my builds is worn by the avatar. You can link 256 parts together to form one object. Then the object is attached to "worn" and lined up to fit my model aircraft. So when you jump in your aircaft to fly you find the item labeld cockpit and boom there you have all your cockpit detail and I usualy have landing gear detail or anything else my model needs. You are not limited to the number of objects you can wear either.
I know that maybe a lot to understand but I hope it helps.
Im sure some of the people in Second life may have bought 3d models online somewhere and then got them in SL but I do all my work from scratch one prim at a time. litteraly. If you do have any questions Id be happy to try to answer them for you.
In second life if you are there Im clay ellison.
Take care and good luck:-D

Oh I forgot to mention here and its important. If the parts of your model are not built using the premade sculpty objectts in AC3D they wont work in second life either. Any time i go to build a new part I goto Import then to second life sculpties. Here you find a cube a cylinder, and sphere. you must start with one of these shapes then make it the way you need for Second Life. There is a way in the progam to convert the models for SL but this is the easy way for me to get it correct. I build 99 percent of the models i need starting with the cube then "sculpt" it to the shapes i want.

Last edited by Clay; 25th July 2011 at 08:58 AM.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote