View Single Post
Old 4th September 2012, 07:45 AM   #1
BSquaredeighteen
Advanced member

Default Scaling Issue for SketchUp Models Imported to AC3D

Hello,

I just completed my first experiment using AC3D to animate an object I had created in SketchUp, converted to Collada, imported to AC3D, animated, and exported to X-Plane.

Overall, the results are promising. The animated object is a tail hook for a naval jet. And, yes, it does rotate down and up as it should, using the taillhook button on the instrument panel or key on the keyboard.

One small--or large--problem: The tail hook developed in SketchUp is exactly proportioned to the size of the plane. However, the animated tail hook exported to X-Plane from AC3D is enormous, many times the size of the aircraft.

I found that I could get the tail hook to the correct size by rescaling it in AC3D to about 2.6 percent of its original size in AC3D. I still would like to know if there is a way to avoid having to do this. If that percentage is consistent for all objects imported from SketchUp, I can live with it.

Did I miss something in the process of exporting from SketchUp to AC3D or from there to X-Plane?

Bill