Thread: few questions
View Single Post
Old 28th December 2003, 12:22 PM   #2
-WOODY-
Professional user

Default Re: few questions

I may be wrong, but in most cases you would have to double the number of surfaces to get your actual polygon count. I think it's based on planar ( or plane ) surfaces. In other words, a flat surface that is made up of 3 or more vertices ( ? ).
A polygon is simlply a closed plane figure bounded by straight sides. It takes at least 3 closed points to create one surface.
After snapping vertices together, you always have to optimize sufaces afterward to get rid of any leftover or duplicate surfaces.
The reason why your model had gaps after subdividing is because not all of the vertices snapped together after you mirrored your object.
One good thing to do before mirroring your object is look at it in front view then select all of your vertices along the edge that is to be mirrored then scale to 0 along the "X" axis. This will ensure that all of your vertices are lined up along the "Y" axis. If you don't have a straight edge it wont mirror properly ( hope I'm right on at least part of what I said ).