View Single Post
Old 18th July 2008, 02:05 PM   #4
tbd
Professional user

Default Re: Tutorial creating worn metal

Ok, I will try to explain how I map textures, and this is how I did it on Diablo.

Pic1. First I used the UV map plugin under tools and used the box setting to get the texture mapped as a base. Here is the thread where you can download it if you don’t have it. UVMAP Windows only I think.

Pic2. This is how the surfaces are being laid out with box mapping. I do this to fill all the nooks and crevices on the model, so I can just take the big surfaces that are much more visible. You cant see the small almost hidden stuff on finished renders.

Pic3. In surface mode you select the surfaces you want to change. On this model I could take it in quite big chunks. It’s all up to how the model looks like.

Pic4-5. Select the surfaces in the TCE and in the remap section click top. Now the surfaces are mapped from the top down. Also you see a distortion in the texture on the model (you may want to use the inspect button to get a clearer view, the button with the eye).

This distortion is there because of the top down mapping. If you look in the TCE on the vertices on each side, you see that they are closer to each other than the rest. This is because of the top down view. So you have to select the vertices and drag them out a bit. Just so much so they match the distance on the rest of the surfaces. You do this on both sides. Now you see? The distortion is gone.

Pic6. And that is how you map the rest of your model. You can resize and move the surfaces as you like. Those two surfaces are remapped looking left. And so on. This is what I will call uv mapping light.

Pic7. That brings me over to this type of texture that for me is the real uvmapping style. But it’s not more difficult to do. It’s all the same. Select surfaces and place over the appropriate part on the texture. Soooo, I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1081  

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	1082