View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Dennis
Professional user

Default Re: The new AC3D 6 best feature

I'm most happy with the new subdivisions plus general performance improvements in AC3D.

The new subdivision routines in AC3D are on par with most of the high-dollar apps. The improvements there mean I can model my app in AC3D, and, without committing subdivisions, export the model to another app for animation/rendering and the subdivisions come out practically the same. If there are differences, they are negligible or unnoticeable. Version 5 was good on closed geometry, but open geometry (where edges were "unclosed") did not behave the same way as most other apps do.

The performance improvements over version 5 are outstanding as well. I have one particular high-polycount model that was painstakingly slow in AC3D 5, but version 6 with performance improvements handles it *very* smoothly without the need to hide portions of the geometry or view in wireframe-only. Since I've had version 6 I've made other high-poly models, and have only realized just how high-poly they are when they are exported to other modeler-only apps where they are not handled nearly as well (read: slow).
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote