Old 26th April 2005, 12:36 PM   #4
Dennis
Professional user

Default Re: Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyris69
Making a hole
That makes sense.

To make a hole, say, in a sphere, you can use the CSG plugin ("Boolean operation" under the Tools menu). Not sure if you're a registered user, but that may be a tool that you'll only find after you've registered AC3D (unless Andy's changed the way the demo works).

For the "inside of the cup" issue, I'd personally have modeled this cup using the "Revolve" tool --- I believe the Help file has a demonstration of creating a cup/goblet with the Revolve tool. You may still be able to remake this cup using the existing geometry and the revolve tool, as long as the vertices making the vertical contour of the cup are lined up on an axis (see the Help file and that may make sense).

Another trick you can do is using the "extrude" tool - the best way to explain how to do this is by example:

1. Create a sphere.
2. In Surface mode, select the "top" part of the sphere (hemisphere) and delete those faces. You'll be left wit hthe bottom half of the sphere, which, for this example, is your cup.
3. Still in Surface mode, select all of the faces in the sphere and click the Extrude tool. Under the Extrude options that appear in the control panel, check "cap end" and "flip new surfaces" ( leave "remove original" unchecked). Under "By normal direction", set the "Dist" to -0.01. Click the "Extrude by normal" button.
4. You should now have an "inside" to your cup, very slightly offset from the original cup, and the edges are facing inside the cup. Don't deselect anything yet. Go back into "Move/size" mode (exit Extrude mode) and use "Ctrl+drag" on one of the corners of the current selection selection. This will proportionally resize the inside of the cup. Shrink it until the cup is the thickness you want. You will probably end up having to move the entire inside up or down to have the top of the cup's inside level with the top of the cup's outside.

Hope that makes sense. It should work for you existing cup, too, just wanted to give you a pure example that I coudl recreate.

Yet another option for the cup is to make your surfaces two-sided - select the faces/object you want to do this to, and click the "2S" button at the bottom of the control panel on the left side of the screen. This will show the inside of the cup, but the cup will have a very "thin" appearance around the lip. That's why I'd have used the Revolve tool.

Quote:
Would i use bump mapping top make water like this
Try google'ing for "povray water" (minus quotes) and you'll get some pretty good examples. The first page that came up for me, http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y00...ter/index.html , looks promising.

Hope that helps.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote