Thread: Rounded corners
View Single Post
Old 12th January 2017, 02:21 PM   #9
jleslie
Expert member

Default Re: Rounded corners

I just came across this thread, and from it I was able to figure out my own technique that I think is pretty good for the issue of rounding corners, and in this case, the entire edge.

I made up a router bit, and then used it on the shape.

I had a very square, sharp edge of a cube and I wanted to round its edges. so I made a rectangle, and a cylinder a bit bigger than the rectangle centered on the rectangular box (RB). I then from the RB object ->boolean->subtract the cylinder eaving me with 4 corner router bits. I then copied and pasted the corner I needed into a new object, and then carefully laid it over the edge I wanted to round. Then from my part I subtracted the router bit. In screenshot 04, there were some leftover surfaces for some reason, I just deleted those.

for the other edge, I rotated my router bit, and placed it over that edge. I didnt' think the curve was exactly right so I stretched and skewed the router bit shape so the curve was what I wanted. some of the vertexes of the router bit were inside the shape and using the vertex mode, grabbed those vettexes and dragged them away from the part so that when I then applied the object boolean subtract to that edge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss00_routerbit.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	3523  

Name:	ss01_routerbit.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	3524  

Name:	ss02_routerbit.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	3525  

Name:	ss03_routerbit.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	3526  

Name:	ss04_routerbit.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	3527  

Name:	ss05_routerbit.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	3528  

Name:	ss06_routerbit.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	362.7 KB
ID:	3529  

Name:	ss07_routerbit.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	3530  

Last edited by jleslie; 12th January 2017 at 02:25 PM.
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote