View Single Post
Old 16th May 2018, 04:23 PM   #13
jonbourg

Default Re: Going from AC3D to .stl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfeaver View Post
Hi Edi,

I have used AC3D for 3D cockpit development in X-Plane for a number of years... always metric units. I've not run into any need for scaling up by 39.37.

I've found AC3D intuitive and easy to use. I recently used AC3D's Revolve function for 3D printing a 2 cm dia, 5 threads/cm nut and bolt.

Blue side up,
Bob
I know this is an older thread but I think I have it figured out. I've used AC3D myself for making planes for Flight Gear. Everything is modeled to the meter so if a plane is 10 meters long with an 8 meter wingspan and is 6 meters tall AC3D measurements would be 10 x 8 x 6 .

I made a model for something I wanted to 3D print as usual using meters and it came out way too small. The key I think is the scaling in AC3D acts like a percentage or it has to do with microns. Any how this does work. Take 39.37 and multiply by 100 to get 3937. Put 3937 in your scaling xyz hit scale and viola! Now when you export your model to .STL it should be the correct size.

It works! I have verified this by scaling up a model and uploading it to Sculpteo.

Last edited by jonbourg; 16th May 2018 at 04:40 PM.
jonbourg is offline   Reply With Quote