View Single Post
Old 14th June 2006, 02:55 PM   #4
Dennis
Professional user

Default Re: Boolean ops and a few other questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldby
- Your second answer forces an obvious question: how do I turn a shell to a solid obkect in order to use it in boolean operations? Can I do that at all?
For the Boolean to work, all you need to do for best results is make sure the surfaces of your object face "out" from the center of the object. If you make all the surfaces in your object 1-sided, you can see which way the surface faces (or, turn on the Normals in the view window) --- if they're all facing outward, creating a closed/defined volume, you should be ok.

I can't vouch for how well the Boolean tool will work if the object isn't "closed" (i.e., a cube with one side missing) --- it tends to work fairly well in tests I've done, but I'm not sure if there are limitations here or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldby
- I tried 'surface/divide', but apparently the new vertices get always placed on the pre-existing sides. What if I want to put a new vertex in the middle and then split the surface by 'radii' connecting it to the existing vertices? The goal is to increase the detail only where it's needed leaving the rest as simple as possible.
I see what you mean. I know of no standard tool in AC3D for doing this. You could perform a Surface -> Divide and then combine/split surfaces from the center vertex, I suppose, then delete the unused vertices --- maybe there's a better way? If the surface has more than 3 sides, you could do a Surface -> Triangulate, then insert a vertex on one of the trinagle lines going through the center of the polygon, then combine/split surfaces as needed. There may be much better solutions depending on the specifics of what you need, though...
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote