View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2009, 04:05 PM   #1
Mole

Question The dumbest question

How do you render? It seems obvious, click the button with Render written on it . . . and that's the point I discovered it isn't that simple.

After several attempts I've finally drawn my first 3D object, yes it's a shirt button
Name:  button.png
Views: 385
Size:  40.6 KB
don't laugh, the wife wanted it for some craft thing she's doing with Photoshop.

Anyhow, I click Render and up pops the Pov-Ray spash screen followed by a window full of scrolling numbers. Then, in a frame below there's some messages which end by saying how long it took and finally "POV-Ray finished". There were no error messages, and considering I'm a complete noob at this, that was quite an achievment.

Now then, its created this file ac3dpovfile.pov. So I opens IrfanView to look at it and get the message Unknown file format etc. Then I had another look at it in TextPad and saw it was full of the numbers I had seen scrolling down before.

So now I'm going to try again and follow the example in the manual, Object name button, and in Object data text I put texture (F_Glass10) -a button for Cinderella's shoe? I couldn't find a list of textures so I stuck to the one in the example. Finally I put #include "glass.inc" File->Settings and tick the box Use object data for POV files.

I pressed the render button up pops the Pov-Ray spash screen again followed by exactly the same as before.

So my next question is, where is my glass button?

Apologies for such a dumb question, but I just can't see what I've done wrong in following the example.

Update
I found one, curly brackets for the texture, but I'm still not much further towards seeing my glass button
Name:  ac3dpovfile.png
Views: 353
Size:  1.2 KB

I know, its rubbish isn't it, I guess I'm still doing something dumb.
Please help!

Last edited by Mole; 3rd February 2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Update
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote