View Single Post
Old 8th February 2019, 04:01 PM   #7
jleslie
Expert member

Default Re: extruding a polygon 8.0.80 can't get endcap, what am I doing wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
In 8.3, the additional (and sometimes confusing options) have been removed. Extrude now works in a similar way to other software, by simply adding extra polygons at edges of a selection.

This change is primarily due to the introduction of the Object->Thicken function. With Thicken, it's easy to create shapes and then extrude them, without worrying about normals and open/closed ends (some of the options that were previously in the older versions)

You might also want to use Vertex->Extrude-edges. Using this on a polygon and then dragging upwards will do the same as the previous extrude, where "cap-end" was de-selected - essentially creating a 'wall'of new polygons around the edges. Of course, you could also use Thicken and then delete some surfaces, to end up with the same shape.

As Sean mentioned, the manual (available from the Help menu in 8.3) has been updated to cover the new extrude and Thicken.

I just ran into this problem yet again I see that the "thicken" function replaces the extrude for the endcaps. It is of very poor design to not be backward compatible to what we are used to for the past 10 years. there is absolutely no good reason that you don't leave the extrude endcaps and have it simply do the thicken function. or if that is too difficult, leave the endcap check box greyed out, and when you click on it you get a pop-up explaining that this function has been depreciated and replaced with the thicken button.

It is not a good Idea to change your loyal customers workflow. At least I can come to the forum and find out what is going on. I understand your thought to try and attract other customers that "are used to" something different, however the reason I use AC3D INSTEAD of the others software is because I LIKE the way you do things instead of their way. Don't sacrifice your customer base for an attempt to add new ones. I cannot believe adding thicken required you to eliminate the endcaps. By leaving endcaps you would of pleased your customer base AND conformed to other software.

Last edited by jleslie; 8th February 2019 at 04:06 PM.
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote