View Single Post
Old 7th August 2007, 06:45 PM   #17
Cynic
Expert member

Default Re: I'm new and learning. My WIP.

Since I have a testbed model, I've now put other modeling aside to work on a peripheral program I like to call: Fisix.

It's purpose is when given the model geometry, a mass and scale, it calculates several physical quantities about the model, such as volume, density, moments of inertia, center of mass, center of percussion, etc.

The scale is a multiplier. If you designed your model at 1/7th the scale, then you would need to specify a seven to bring it to actual size. You can't scale the mass and get the same values for the physical quantities/qualities, so it must work with a 1:1 scale.

Where possible, these quantities are done to the best possible accuracy, using tensors.

It used to read in a triangle file (only supported format so far) but after some tinkering with conversion to something internally representable, I've gone back and started rewriting the reader code to do the file read and conversion in one process.

It's going well and my old programming knowledge is coming back fast. It's a bit more sticky doing a binary search on a multi-variable key, but I'm still highly motivated to make this game. I think I've got it right, but I'll need to compile and test (nothing I write works the first time).

Last edited by Cynic; 7th August 2007 at 06:47 PM.
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote