View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2009, 04:49 PM   #7
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: "New kid, in town..." at the AC3D ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignGuy169 View Post
1) IYou can readily see the difference, and The Big Question (for me) is: can I within AC3D get ambient setting of the texture itself (wood/stone/what have you), cranked up to 1? "Brightness" of a texture really is key here & what I'm after. IF I can do this in AC3D, I'll be a True Believer, I promise. ;-)
To clarify again... are you using the Orge mesh exporter, or an OBJ exporter?

If it's Ogre mesh directly, I don't know enough about that exporter to answer the question.

If you're using OBJ, try this exporter instead of the built-in:
http://www.independentdeveloper.com/...n-poser-export

Quote:
2) Re booleans, textures: again, I am doubtless doing this wrong I hope, as if AC3D always or often disturbs a texure on something when performing booleans, then the app has it wrong *** and I am not taking potshots at AC3D but if my very old truSpace can do this with no sweat, I have to assume that AC3D a much newer app can do it too and hence, I assume dipstick newbie here still has the technique wrong.
AC3D does, indeed, have trouble with booleans sometimes. There are a few things you can do to improve it, such as avoiding coincident vertices, but most people on the forums seem to avoid them in general.

There's an alternate knife tool you can download from supercoldmilk.com that's pretty good for cutting holes. Most other boolean operations can be worked around with merge, weld and create ordered surface.

Quote:
3) Scale: ah, still bit lost here. Did find arrows you spoke of near Size, Move operations. And you said, correctly about the normal gaming scale used, and hitherto (in The Other 3D App) I had set World Scale to metres and Ojbect Scale to Feet or I could easily flip over to check something in Inches, if making small items. So, if 1 is 1 whatever I want as you prev. said... is there just a permanent "sense of" scale that I can set in AC3D, and forget about it thereafter?
Hmm. Perhaps it would be more clear to say that AC3D is "scaleless". A unit is whatever you are inclined to say it is, there is no specific settings for feet/meters/etc.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote