View Single Post
Old 25th July 2011, 06:12 AM   #3
SecondLifer

Unhappy Re: How to bring Objects from AC3D to Secondlife ??

Hi, Im in a lot of trouble

This thread seems ideal to ask for some help.

I bought From a Site, 2 Jetliner Models in 3ds format, which Im pretty sure is correct for this program.

I want to upload the basic none textured model of each, to see how big it is, into My Building sim In Second Life.

I spent hours last night trying various ways of importing one of these Planes into Second life with no success. My problem is compounded, that this trial version runs out in a few days, and if I cant upload the aircraft at all, It would be a waste of money to buy the £53 license for AC3D.

The 3D models in question cost quite a lot of money together £85 or 130US$

First is a B737 which the most expensive, its awesome, and I already have prepared liverys for it.

It comes with full fusalage, windows, cockpit windows, undercarriage and wheels and slats etc. the details are as follows: Polygons: 232352 Points: 136705 Objects: 377, the model was originally made for a television commerial.

The second plane is a basic Airbus, low res with just the engines naccelles wings and tail, no windows. details for this is; Polygons: 428 Points: 235 Objects: 10. I know theres a section on extruding boleans , to cut out the windows, so that dont bother me.

If I take the Airbus first, it loaded into AC3D fine, and began exporting it, in one of the formats the list contains. But then realized second life has no upload of a 3DS model only image, sound or animation.

I tried saving the model using the same above sculpty prim formats as candy has tried, but when i went to models directory, each part of the plane was seperate and not one model, I tried importing the Tail Tga, but when I rezzed it inworld, it was nothing like a tail fin, just a lump of black , that looked like a boulder.

So then I looked into differant ways to get this model in, the one i thought was going to solve this was a thing called an Ac3D Tri creator. I got this from SL market place, and set it up in middle of sim. followed the directions and, saved the model as tri, then copied the data to a notepad, then opened the edit part inworld of the tri creator, and pasted the 200-300 lines in it, once that was done, i expected it to rez before my eyes, so the advert says, instead, it through multiple triangles that flew of the sim, and got returned saying they went offworld? My sim stopped the process after a few mins, saying it had disabled temporary to many objects.

So back to drawing board, to try another type, of which i saw a video of, this was the second life boxes creator, the tutorial video showed a large ocean tanker being rezzed, so I thought this would be the one. having d/l said box creator, followed directions and exported model into SL box format, again edited the box inworld, hoping it would rez plane, unfortunetly i kept getting an error, cant ,load line, blah blah, a long line of numbers and letters, after several attempts, it refused to load that particular line, and said server having problems, try later, nothing happened. Now im in a quandry, im just about to spend £400 on a new computor to a new windows 7 one with a hi end graphic card to work on these creations, as my old 7 year old computor, can only run the snowglobe viewer, but now, I have put it on hold, because until I get one of these aircraft inworld to start texturing and scripting the moving parts, im stuck between a rock and a hard place. I cant seem to find the actual size of the model I downloaded into AC3D, the model info dont give centimetes or inches as to what size it is, only lines like this:

Object "Fuselage", v 86, s 168, kids 0 *
Object "Tail", v 13, s 22, kids 0 *
Object "Turbine1", v 9, s 8, kids 0 *

You mention, somthing called compression? I only know that from winzip files or in media files. Where would I find how to compress 3ds or tri data to allow uploads?

perhaps this is the wrong program for my needs, I looked at Wings3D and one I liked was Archipelis , which, would have great for me, as I used to be an artist and painting and drawing is second nature, however an email from Archipelis , advised me there program is not suitable for aircraft or engineering models, only organic. 3DMax and maya and maxon are out of my pocket, as im retired and on pension, so I really dont know what to do, Im told blender is a good program, but reports say its hard to learn, together with studying the book in the evenings " scripting your world", I want to get on, but I seem to have run into a brick wall, getting these models into SL.

Any comments to help please would be appreciated, but in layman terms please, as Im new to external 3D modelling, but not within sl, where I have made my own buildings and some sculpty flower creations using sculpty paint.

Thanks a lot

mike
SecondLifer is offline   Reply With Quote