View Single Post
Old 7th October 2009, 04:28 PM   #3
James

Red face Re: Wanted: detailed pre-dreadnought battleships and armoured cruisers

Thank you very much, Lisa, for your suggestions.
I use AC3d only as a animatic/scene blueprint generator for graphic novel paintings involving static architecture/vessels, etc. (stuff that doesn't change it's shape too much unless damaged, eaten, etc.), no skins, animation, shadows, etc. (all that is painted/photoshop'd ) and so my progress in learning new applications is extremely slow and entirely need-based. I was only interested in upgrading because my newly uploaded 'extrude along pathway' still does not seem to work. I have watched the short silent movie tutorial numerous times but am still at sea over the whole business. I have even tried Youtubing it with no success. It might be because of my older version but am not sure. Do you know if I have to pay again for an upgrade? I can ask Andy Coleburn, who is always very nice and helpful, for some simple instructions in either case.

Also, I don't know how to change formats between the different file types you mentioned from turbosquid.com. I am very interested in checking out the site but do not have the fluid mastery you do with doing extra-progam functions like translating file types for import blueprints, buying complicated models, etc. Do I need to download a special program (like a pdf-creator or zipfile extractor type thing) to do this, or is this something I can do with a regular Windows OS PC? If it is too long to explain, could you send me a link to a tutorial that teaches me this ability? My limitations are starting to compromise my final product. I used to be able to upload files in .bmp, etc from my jpg pics for blueprints for aircraft, robots, etc. and now that's gone: the only compatible file types are ones I cannot save a jpg or psd to with their scroll-down options. What do I need in order to do this?

I know I'm asking a bit much to be led by the hand a bit, but I am a bit old-fashioned and do not take so easily to these digital gymnastics others are so comfortable with. I would really love to be able to purchase premade models I can then kitbash for parts, and could really use learning this extrude along path thing as it seems a useful tool for making dendritic pipe shapes (veins, roller coaster tracks, etc) and complex curves like realistically billowing sails. Any help a little more detailed than that silent tutorial would be plenty appreciated, or the necessity to upgrade altogether...
I thank you for any help you might be able to give.

James Ortega
boilerroomproductions.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote