View Single Post
Old 12th December 2004, 02:52 AM   #1
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

Default sub-dividing in reverse?

My 1st try at modelling was a leaf. I created 3 ellipses aound the center, each one rotated (left to right) about 25 degrees from the other, with the first and last ellipse being a bit smaller. Then i selected vertex and cut the entire right half of each ellipse. Then I created a surface, which resulted in something like the leaf, but with unwanted surfaces connecting the top of the leaf to the bottom. I "cut" these surfaces, and I finally got my leaf shape, but I can't tell if it is only one-sided (if someone can help here - please do). The shape was not smooth, and smoothing didn't really do the trick, so I subdivided and then splined. That did it. A whole lot of triangles (too many, really), but the shape is smooth and something like a leaf. Now I want to get AC3D to re-model this shape with greatly fewer triangles, but, when I selected "combine", it wanted all surfaces to be adjacent. How do you get an object that is OVERTRIANGULATED to be represnted with fewer traingles that keeps the smooth shape within the resolution as is currently modelled?
What I would really like, is to be able to select REGIONS within my object to be "reverse-subdivided", because I can see which regions are way overtriangulated and which regions probably need this dense of a level of vertices. I am still learning. jerrylynnb
jerrylynnb is offline   Reply With Quote