View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2007, 04:27 PM   #5
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: To create a torus

Glad to be of help!

As far as your puzzle piece, there's a couple of ways to make the surface. For both methods, the first thing you want to do is switch to vertex mode.

The method I prefer is "Create Ordered Surface" because it requires no clean-up. Select the vertices around the edge of your hole in counter-clockwise order. It's important to select them in this order, or you will get junk. After you have selected your vertices, click Vertex > Create Ordered Surface, or just press Control+Shift+S on the keyboard.

The other way to do it is with "Create 2D Mesh". With create mesh, it doesn't matter what order you select the vertices in. Just highlight all of them, and then click Vertex > Create 2D Mesh > Front (or whatever view makes sense for your arrangement of points). This will create a new surface from your vertices. The only downside to this method is that if your shape is concave, it may create some extra surfaces. Just switch to surface mode, highlight the extra surfaces and delete them to get the shape you want. I don't like this method as well because I don't like the clean-up, but sometimes if I'm working with a very large number of vertices it's a bit faster.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote