View Single Post
Old 18th October 2009, 03:23 PM   #5
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Re: Tutorial or show me how?

If you can isolate a properly shaped surface at the beginning and end of the handle,it would likely be easier to use box modeling techniques and just extrude the handle out, rotate the surface to point downward, extrude down and mate the end to a second surface where it reconnects with the rest of the jug. That should only involve snapping together and welding four pairs of vertices.

Booleans are messy, and often result in a bunch of superfluous vertices that you have to clean up with snap together commands and such. Box modeling and extrusion is much easier way to go.

As for the label... it looks like you've already got a bunch of surfaces properly textured? If you have to recreate it, one way to do it might be to create and slice surfaces to "carve" the shape of the label into the jug itself. By this, I mean: select two vertices that share a surface line. Vertex/Insert Vertex. Combine this with selecting vertice pairs and using Vertex/Slice Surface to create lines between them. Do this however necessary to create a border on the jug of the exact shape of your label. Then, you have a visual guide to refer to when painting a graphic based on the UV mapping. This would also save you from having to make a separate label fit the exact form of the jug, which might be tricky.

PM me if any of this is unclear, and perhaps I can help you further.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals

Last edited by Stiglr; 18th October 2009 at 03:30 PM.
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote