View Single Post
Old 24th August 2008, 04:33 AM   #4
shmbry

Default Re: FSX export plugin

In order to get the model into FSX the .x file has to be modified before being passed to Xtomdl the compiler included with the FSX SDK.

These modifications revolve around the addition of several new headers within the .x file mostly concerned with textures and animations.

I am told this can be done using a program / plugin, although due to my limited knowledge I'm not sure in which language it should be written.

To make use of the full capabilities of the FSX SDK AC3D would need to access the other tools in the SDK in the same way that GMax and Studio Max do.

Dave Numez has created a similar set of tools for FSDS which allow the .x file to be modified before being passed to Xtomdl without using the GMax / Studio Max plugins in the SDK.

Therefore in theory it should be possible to write similar scripts for AC3D, It just requires someone with the right knowledge to do it ! Sounds easy if you say it quickly enough !

It would open up the possibility of developers like myself being able to create models for both FSX and X-Plane.

There is a gap to be filled between FSDS which is easy to learn and use, but which has limited tools and has very poor UV mapping by comparison with GMax which is notoriously difficult to learn, but which has a full tool set and good UV mapping.

Have used AC3D only briefly I found it easy to use and the UV mapping tools are excellent for such an affordable program.
shmbry is offline   Reply With Quote