Thread: Collada
View Single Post
Old 7th October 2009, 06:24 PM   #27
Gus
Advanced member

Default Re: Collada

Lightwave along with other 3d applications as I previously posted are officially listed of being compatible with Blue Mars. As long AC3D's .DAE doesn't work with Blue Mars it will not make it to the Blue Mars list.

The edited version you supplied did work........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Andy/Inivis,

I pulled the Blue Mars dev kit so I could run the import with AC3D test data, and I think I've found the issues.

I've attached 2 AC3D Collada exports - one is a textured triangle created with AC3D (actri.dae) and the other is an edited version of that triangle (actri_EDITED.dae). The edited version contained indented/spaced/commented code that handles material/texture data that Blue Mars was erroring on.

Note that these changes also allow the materials and textures to show up when I import this into LightWave --- without the changes, the material colors/textures don't show. I can't guarantee that LightWave is doing everything correctly, of course, but it's the most trustworthy Collada importer that I own.

The changes that were made to make this import correctly into LightWave follow. Just to stress this, the import already worked for geometry, but materials/textures weren't showing up, and UV maps weren't being applied.
  1. Added a <library_images> tag to specify a texture.
  2. Updated the <library_effects>'s <profile_COMMON> tag to describe the texture format/source.
  3. Updated the <library_effects>'s <profile_COMMON>'s common techique <diffuse> tag to include the texture description.
  4. Updated the <visual_scene>'s <instance_geometry> tag to bind the material and texture coordinates to the mesh.

Beyond this, I made one other change that may be a problem with the Blue Mars importer. If the texture coordinate accessor is assigned to X/Y, Blue Mars apparently gets confused, probably with the position or normal array, but setting these coordinates to any other value worked (I used S/T). However, I don't see that using a different nomenclature than X/Y hurts anything, and I also notice that other Collada exporters do the same.

Gus,

I'm not sure whether these changes will be trivial to introduce into the exporter - it was very easy when the geometry consisted of only a single triangle, but in order to support more complex scenes it might not be that easy.

Here's hoping it turns out to be an easy fix, though .

Dennis
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote