View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2008, 08:53 PM   #5
LightWizard

Default Re: Need help creating Second Life Sculpties

Hi Andy...I found that posting as one of the first I found, but it really doesn't explain how to create the texture maps for anything other than simple objects.

Note that I also did take the advice to use the existing objects for my 2nd object. For this, I started with a sphere. I then deformed it, being sure not to create any sharp corners or broken surface boundaries to create a slightly irregular pool shaped object (trying to make a stone pool for the bottom of a waterfall). The issue I have is that it is concave after this deformation of the sphere. Trying the UV map tool, I was unable to get a descent text map that worked. The default spherical one worked in that it looked concave (but had a linear gap down one side and had some nasty jaggies), BUT it was in fact not concave; if you tried to get into the concave area you instead stool on top of an invisible upper surface.

What I need is some instruction on how to deal with such an object. Visualize a round-ish tub and you get the idea. The sides slope downward at a fairly gentle angle, no 90 degree edges, no sharp surface boundaries...trying to be as kind to the surface mapping sw as possible.

Do I need to split this object into pieces? Do I need to just create a separate wire mesh for the top section? I saw some discussion about doing this, but don't know HOW to do this, nor do I know really how to split the object (I can split it, but what do I do about the cut away areas? Make it a big surface? I'm completely unsure of how to get started on this.

So, I'd really appreciate some help on this...guess I started by making 2 concave objects naively not knowing it would be complicated. I'd really like to get the pool out into 2nd life as we have a spot for it at the bottom of a waterfall and we're very anxious to see it complete.

Thanks all...LW
LightWizard is offline   Reply With Quote