View Single Post
Old 30th January 2011, 09:13 AM   #4
shmbry

Default Re: AC3D Texture mapping

The main reason is because I made some fundamental errors when I started my project.

Firstly the model is far more complex than probably needs to be, currently it contains 1006 parts and in excess of 150,000 polygons.

Secondly I did not texture each part as I made it leaving me with a huge task in texturing it now.

The model was originally destined for FSX but with such a high count coupled with FSX thirst for CPU power the performance of the textured model would have probably been poor.

It was constructed mainly using FSDS 3.5 with some help from Autocad and I was hoping to use Bodypaint 3D to do the texturing but the file conversion process is too demanding having to pass through too many steps to retain the desired information; UV coordinates, parts names and animation to name a few.

I have managed to import the model in AC3D but there is a LOT of work to do to clean it up; normal direction, part names, hierarchy, animation and texturing.

At this point it would probably be easier to start again in AC3D. The project has been on hold whilst I try and decide what's best a major factor being the future of FSX.

Although Microsoft is developing 'Flight' knowing the history of flight simulator the chances of 100% compatibility are remote.

Therefore I am turning my interest towards X Plane 10. I think the advances being made with 10 will make it a far more interesting place to fly.

AC3D looks to be the way to go its just that having never successfully textured before another project seems daunting.
shmbry is offline   Reply With Quote