View Single Post
Old 16th May 2018, 05:37 PM   #14
bfeaver
Advanced member

Default Re: Going from AC3D to .stl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbourg View Post
I know this is an older thread but I think I have it figured out. I've used AC3D myself for making planes for Flight Gear. Everything is modeled to the meter so if a plane is 10 meters long with an 8 meter wingspan and is 6 meters tall AC3D measurements would be 10 x 8 x 6 .

I made a model for something I wanted to 3D print as usual using meters and it came out way too small. The key I think is the scaling in AC3D acts like a percentage or it has to do with microns. Any how this does work. Take 39.37 and multiply by 100 to get 3937. Put 3937 in your scaling xyz hit scale and viola! Now when you export your model to .STL it should be the correct size.

It works! I have verified this by scaling up a model and uploading it to Sculpteo.
Hi Jonbourg,

Coincidence, I received a letter this very morning from a fellow who is using one of my AC3D exported .stl files for 3D printing 3 1/8" instrument bezels. He is saying that he needs to scale up by a factor of 1000. ?? (When using AC3D i convert all Imperial lengths to mm.)

Every thing I produce in AC3D and export as .stl needs to be scaled by a factor of 39.37 on my Afinia printer. (39.3701 is the number of inches in a meter)

So, it looks like there are differences in 3D printers and perhaps also differences in AC3D settings.

Recently I have been using SketchUp for my 3D Printing development work. SketchUp .stl's print correctly without scaling.

Blue side up,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DHC1_SimPit.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	3616  

bfeaver is offline   Reply With Quote