Old 5th December 2007, 02:58 AM   #3
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Newbie question regarding texture mapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhorner View Post
Hello, I'm a newbie to ACAD
ACAD = AC3D ?

Just to be sure... this is the AC3D forums. ACAD is usually short for Auto CAD by AutoDesk. Similar software to be sure and an easy mistake, but want to make sure you're in the right place before I really confuse you.

Quote:
1. In Metasequoia, I can create a material which has a texture file associated with it as well as specify the specular reflection property of it and then assign the material to a particular surface or surfaces. I see how to specify the light reflecting properties of a material in ACAD, but how do I do it for a texture?
Apply both a texture and a material. Textures only control the diffuse color. Light-reflecting properties are controlled by the material... just set the diffuse color of the material to white to pick up the texture color in its place.

Quote:
2. In Metasequoia, I can set the editor so that I only select the front or visible faces of a particular view. That way I can easily assign a different material to the front and back of an object. I've modeled the wing and ailerons of my model as independent objects in ACAD. The top surface of the wing should have a different part of the texture file assigned to it than the bottom surface. However, the selection tools seem to select both top and bottom surfaces. Are there any suggestions as to how to filter the selection to only select the view-visible surfaces of the object?
In the lower left-hand corner of the status bar is a checkbox that says "Select through". Uncheck that, and you'll only select the visible surfaces.

Quote:
3. For some reason, white in the texture jpg appears transparent in the ACAD view. It shows up fine in the Clearview sim, however, but it is somewhat strange. Any ideas why?
Hmmm. Not sure on thaat one. Maybe the material has transparency?
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote