View Single Post
Old 25th June 2012, 05:41 PM   #4
PixelOz

Question Re: screensaver using textures

I'm still having trouble making the texture work.

I took the Aston Martin car, converted the texture to an .rgb file using Gimp 2.8 and placed it in the models directory (in the C:\Program Files\3D Model Screen Saver\Models folder) together with the Aston Martin .ac 3D model.

It still came out white. But I was able to make it work once. I remember that I sort of opened the model in AC3D and went to the Object/Texture menu and selected Load texture... option and selected the converted Aston Martin.rgb file as texture and saved the .ac file.

Went to the screensaver and the Aston appeared as a textured model. After that I did another model as test and couldn't get it to display the texture (and I still placed both the model .ac file and the .rgb texture in the C:\Program Files\3D Model Screen Saver\Models folder but to no avail.

I went back and tried to repeat the process I had done with the Aston but to my surprise couldn't duplicate it, what I got was the Aston now appearing completely white in the screensaver.

I tried many times to duplicate what I did before but couldn't get any model to display textures in the screensaver.

What exactly is that you have to do to achieve this? What do you refer to about the path of the texture?

Are you talking about changing the extension of the .ac file momentarily to .txt and editing it as a text file in Windows Notepad to change the path to the texture? Cause I tried that and I'm still having trouble with it.

I tried the slashes forward and backward and still the model opens white in the screensaver.

Can you guys elaborate a little on how to give the models textures properly? Can you explain that part about the path to the texture better?

I already understand perfectly the .rgb texture part cause the Flight Gear flight simulator uses that and I already had put an AC3D model of an Xwing Fighter there experimentally and made it fly like a Jet so that is no problem. Converting the textures to Silicon Graphics .rgb format is easy.

It seems that I still haven't manage to make the screensaver find the texture. Can you help with this? I bet that other people could be having this issue too and I'm sure that it could help to clarify this.
PixelOz is offline   Reply With Quote