Thread: Textures
View Single Post
Old 14th December 2004, 11:53 PM   #2
Thaellin
Professional user

Hullo and welcome,

Reflections, shadows, and such are best accomplished using properties specific to your renderer. In a game, you need to know what the game expects to see in order to create a reflective surface (or you need to define what it should expect and then write your game engine to accomodate it).

A simple 'shininess' factor relating to how light is reflected can be found in the material properties for AC3D materials. You would change the specular color for the material and play with the shininess. This can give simple gloss or metal effects.

AC3D does not directly support mipmaps, and defining them is not really a function of the modeller. If you want a surface to be mipmapped, you need to determine how the game engine (or ray-tracer) requires this to be specified and then pass that information into the other program somehow.

The light bulb you show is a ray-traced image. To produce it, you need to create a light bulb model (and the surface it sits on) in AC3D, then play with the material and light properties in your ray-tracer file (i.e., POV-RAY). The pov-ray help files are rather technical, but extremely useful once deciphered.

None of this is particularly simple to accomplish (with any degree of polish) but you should be able to get some fairly okay results (worth playing with) with a little effort. Just create your model in AC3D and then experiment with materials in pov-ray (I think the tutorial section of this group offers suggestions for manipulating pov-ray material settings in AC3D object properties).

I'm more programmer than artist, but there are lots of people here that are willing to help out with specific questions you might have.

Good luck,
-- Jeff
Thaellin is offline   Reply With Quote