View Single Post
Old 10th September 2007, 12:51 AM   #4
SimonNolan

Default Re: Ambassador Class Starship

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainj2410 View Post
Two questions, though. 1) Does anyone know what font to use for starship registries? 2) Should I model the registries on permanently or make them textures so the model can be reused as different ships?
Awesome work on the Ambassador Class!

Try Linotype Microgramma or Eurostile. Many, many moons ago I modelled a Miranda-class starship in Ray Dream Designer, and I think I used Eurostile Bold Extended, because I already had it. Only difference is that, I think, Microgramma is uppercase only, Eurostile has lowercase. NB: The ancient TOS Technical Manual says it's Microgramma. You can find it here: http://www.linotype.com/89986/microgramma-family.html

I used FreeHand to create my decals. I typed in the registry number, converted to paths, cloned in place, then inset the path about -5 pixels (to make it actually "outset"). That outset, cloned one gives you the outline around the lettering. I exported to Photoshop and made a nice image for the decal there (Freehand didn't do good bitmap output back then). The first pic below shows how I did it, but it's actually the wrong font. I seem to have lost my copy of Eurostile Bold Extended.

If you need the font for interior TNG-era stuff (which maybe was used on interiors for Ambassador Class ships), use Bitstream Swiss 911 Ultra Compressed, here: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/swiss-911/, or Helvetica Ultracondensed Black, I think.

If it were me, I'd definitely make the registry numbers textures. That way when you make your Dominion Invasion Defense Fleet, you can slap on lots of random names and numbers.

Now, can someone help me get an ancient Ray Dream Designer File from 1997 into AC3D? (Please be gentle about the pic below, it's 10 years old!)
Attached Images

Last edited by SimonNolan; 10th September 2007 at 01:03 AM.
SimonNolan is offline   Reply With Quote