View Single Post
Old 18th March 2017, 05:32 AM   #6
lonewulf

Default Re: Not possible to use DDS textures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpeter View Post
The X-Plane DDSTool.exe will look at the source file and use the proper DDS format (DXT1, DXT3 or DXT5).

A assume you had a source texture with Alpha Channel.
If your alpha had more than a few shades of grey DXT5 is the proper format.

peter
Hi Peter,

Sorry, that's going too far into details for me I'm just trying to be a common user of some various graphical formats for texturing. What I'm seeing so far is that I can get various DDS formats (DXT1 - 5) with various size. Nevertheless in the final product they are working on the textured model, although (DXT1) not showing in AC3D at the texturing stage.

I will give it a try with the various formats at a later stage. At present I use DXTBMP to apply an Alpha channel if desired. I must nevertheless admit that so far I haven't taken too much care of the what's and whereabouts of the Alpha channel. It might well be that it was - although only needed for full transparency (RGB black 255) - made of a 8-bit grayscale. Funny still that although using the same Alpha channel the final texture size could vary in the magnitude of 2:1 (DXT5 : DXT1).

But, as mentioned at the beginning, I'm in no way an expert on graphical formats. My option is simply to use the smallest possible format to save loading time in the final application.

Thank you nevertheless for your explanations and help.

Oskar
lonewulf is offline   Reply With Quote