Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th November 2005, 01:45 PM   #1
Willy
Expert member

Default User Defined Buttons -- Macros

I did a cursory search but didn't find this suggested; forgive me if it is.

Is there going to be a way for the user to create a new button on the top control bar and then assign functions to it? For example, will it be possible to save mouse clicks and other data into a string and then save that string so that it can be activated again using one click on a user defined button?

It seems like something that would be useful for tools and plug-ins and other actions that require two or more actions. Those actions could be assigned to the new button (with user-defined icon?) for one click access.

You wouldn't have to have a fancy Macro Creation Wizard or anything although that would be nice. Maybe the actions could be saved in some sort of text file as a mini script or something like that.

Speaking of that, could this feature be added via script or would it have to be hard coded in?

Thanks.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2005, 02:05 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

This can be done with a script. If you can tell me what functions you'd like, it should be possible to write a simple script to add a button to the toolbar.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2005, 02:48 PM   #3
Willy
Expert member

What I was thinking of was something more versatile than a script to call up a particular script or plug-in. I was thinking of something like a command logger.

Here's one way it might work in principle:

Create a button/icon on the tool bar titled "Record Macro"

When clicked, the button text or icon changes to indicate macro recording is taking place and then the routine records any mouse click data, text input and etc. that the user inputs. Until the "Record Macro" button is clicked again to stop the recording.

Then the routine would display a window asking for the title of the new Macro and perhaps allow an icon to be chosen as well. It would create the new Macro button and place it on the tool bar and iniate any other housekeeping tasks as well. Then close down.

I don't know enough to really guess by maybe the data recorded could be saved in a simple text file named "Macro-[macro name]" or something like that.

This approach, if it can be done this way, would enable mouse input, data input for plug-ins and even calls to other scripts to be recorded and played back just as if the user was inputting them manually.

Basically, I guess, the Record Macro routine would have to grab the data and save it before passing each individual action onto AC3D. I don't know if this can be easily done. I suck at programming theory and practical.

That's my idea anyway...
Old 27th November 2005, 02:55 PM   #4
Willy
Expert member

Needless to say, any error produced during a macro playback should stop the playback dead...

And there would need to be a way to delete old macros/buttons once their use was over or the toolbar gets too crowded.

sorry...