Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th November 2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Default Texture mapping an oblique surface

I've been working on a whole block of buildings. While each building has right angled corners they're positioned at various angles relative to each other. I built the entire block on a satellite photo background image and then moved on to applying the textures. My problem is that that buildings that I've rotated to fit the map footprint don't have any straight front / back or left/right surfaces anymore--even though each wall is a perfect rectangle any choice of texture mapping comes out skewed. I've tried to adjust the rhomboid UV map to make it rectangular to no avail.

Do I really have to rotate each building back to a straight position before I define the texture mapping and then rotate it back to get its relative position right?

Edited: This issue seems to have another reason--I just noticed that my vertical edges weren't perfectly vertical after all. Since I started out by creating generic boxes I assumed that they would be perfectly right angled. I have stretched them, divided surfaces and all this should work fine as long as I don't stretch them after they've been rotated to assume an oblique angle to the grid. I just divided the short end of a building to make the roof arch into a separate section and found that the main rectangular section ended up being slightly skewed. As I corrected the model by moving pixels to obtain perfectly vertical edges a fresh texture mapping came out fine.

The main lesson is to edit an object to perfection before we start rotating it.

Last edited by Hans_Petter; 11th November 2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Found another reason for this
Hans_Petter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Texture mapping an oblique surface

You could try using the LCSM button on the TCE. This is a way of 'unfolding' a group of surfaces and shouldn't be dependent on the major orientation of your model.

It's normal to do some adjusting after you get the mapping e.g. rotating and moving a few vertices.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote