Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th August 2009, 05:10 PM   #1
dxxx_athena

Default basic techniques

i am completly new. i have noticed several questions answered with "use this technique". where do i find "basic techniques". one example was: "you need to cap the end of the cylinder". where do i find what i need to know? are any of the books in the stores any good or is better to use the forums? i have read several of the tutorials, they seem limited.

thank you
dxxx_athena

Last edited by dxxx_athena; 6th August 2009 at 06:22 PM.
dxxx_athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Dennis
Professional user

Default Re: basic techniques

I don't know of any specific sites or books I could recommend on 3D modeling techniques/terms, but if you Google something like this:

http://www.google.com#q=3d+modeling+basics

you'll get at least a few sites that cover the basics. Not ideal, but hopefully someone else has a specific site they could recommend.

The next best thing is to start with simple tutorials, and, when you're thrown a curve, feel free to ask questions. The users on this forum are very friendly and usually happy to help.

For your example, "you need to cap the end of the cylinder":

If you think of a cylinder as a shape with a top, a bottom, and some number of sides (like a cylindrical umbrella stand, perhaps). the top and bottom would be the "caps". So to "cap" an end might mean to add a surface/polygon to the top or bottom --- this would imply that our cylinder did not have a surface on the top and/or bottom, that it is open-ended on one or both sides.

That being said, it could refer to texturing or other techniques, but for basic modeling, that's what "capping" a cylinder usually means.

Good luck,
Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 09:50 PM   #3
dxxx_athena

Default Re: basic techniques

thank you for your reply dennis, i will take your advice.

doug
dxxx_athena is offline   Reply With Quote