Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th December 2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Glen
Expert member

Default Rim for Snare Drum / Drum Kit

Hello!

I've been using AC3D for quite some time, but I'm totally lost on this! I'm trying to make a rim for a snare drum. The rim should be exactly like the image. However, I'm really struggling to get it looking right. Is there a simple way of achieving the right shape? I've managed to get the basic flange shape, by drawing it in 2D and revolving it, but the flattened bits, where the tuning rods go through are really tricky to get right. the lower flange has to rotate 90 degrees and flatten out at one section, then revert back to it's original, vertical position.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou!

Glen

Image:
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Glen
Expert member

Default Re: Rim for Snare Drum / Drum Kit

Hi folks!

Has anyone seen this yet? Maybe it got lost? I'm still stuck with it and have put this project on hiatus as a result. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou!
Old 18th May 2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Stiglr
Professional user

You'll need to have a very clear idea of how it's shaped, and segment the circle accordingly. (I have to admit, with all the reflections in that image, it makes it harder to imagine how it's shaped!) Basically, the areas of the rim that are lifted for the tuning rods need to all be selected and lifted together. Likewise, all other repeatable parts need to be segmented, selected and modified together to give it that "machined" symmetry.

PM me if none of that makes sense I'll be happy to get with you (say, on Skype) and explain with a shared screen.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Glen
Expert member

Hi, Stiglr!

Thankyou for replying! I've a very good idea of how it's shaped, as I had a kit with these same style rims for years. It does sound fiddly, if I'm honest. I was hoping there would be a way of making one piece and revolving it or something, but not to worry!

I'll give it a try and see where I get; I'll have to blow the dust off that project soon, lol! I'm sure you've seen that I'm working on other things at the moment too, but as soon as I get fed up with those, I'll get back to my drum kit. It helps to have a few projects going at once, so I never get too fed up with something, lol!

You're a legend man, thankyou very much!
Old 18th May 2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Stiglr
Professional user

A quick primer on how I might see it progressing...

Start with a large, thin cylinder. Do some thinking and some math to set the number of the cylinder sides to help you when creating the undulating outer rim. This, more than anything else, will save you a bunch of time.
Place a cut near the bottom on the outside (either that or form the cylinder to have two segments, then move the vertices of the center line downward to create the thin lip; then perhaps combine the lip faces on the inside of the snare).
Extrude the outward edge to form the flange.
Make a set of additional cuts, in a systematic, symmetrical fashion to create the edges tuning flanges. These may or may not need a lot of cuts to form the rounded edges to the flanges, or you could decide to leave them more sharper edged. The more gradual the edges, the more cuts you'll need to make, and the more complicated it will be.

After segmenting the flanges, you'll need to select either edges or vertices in groups and move them up or down all at the same time to create the tuning hole areas. This will probably involve moving some of the outer vertices/surfaces to create the effect.

I can explain a better way to make the tuning holes themselves without using boolean cuts (which would create an entirely new mess!) Basically, I'd use Make Hole in each of the raised areas of the flange, and use a disc as a "tracing template" to align the vertices of the hole, adding/subtracing vertices to duplicate the number of vertices in the template disc. (Better explained while sharing a screen; this is hard to describe in text).

Again, PM me and we can arrange a time to meet over Skype (if you don't have Skype, just get it! It's free and easy to install and use... hopefully you have a headphone set or a mic in a laptop so that you can easily use it to teleconference.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Glen
Expert member

Thankyou for that! Yes, it does sound rather... Advanced! XD

I think getting Skype would be a good idea actually, as I don't have it right now. As I said, I'm working on another project in AC right now, but that is beginning to infuriate me somewhat actually, so I may well return to this drum kit project soon, lol! Actually, there is another style of rim I could use, which may well be easier; I'll post a piccy here in a few days or so, maybe sooner, if I get ticked off with this racing circuit.

Thanks again.
Old 29th September 2012, 04:57 PM   #7
jentron
Professional user

I played around with this today, there are 11 images of the work in progress here:

http://www.jentronics.com/ac3d/drum-tut/

If you're still interested I could add some text to go with them.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drum-tut-render.png
Views:	242
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	2740  

Attached Images

jentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Glen
Expert member

That looks good! Thankyou for your offer, however, I've found a way around it now and am almost through the project.

Thankyou once again!
Old 1st October 2012, 03:32 AM   #9
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Hi Ron,

If you could add text to go with the pictures in a new message, it would be a great tutorial for others to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentron View Post
I played around with this today, there are 11 images of the work in progress here:

http://www.jentronics.com/ac3d/drum-tut/

If you're still interested I could add some text to go with them.

Ron
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 05:00 AM   #10
Glen
Expert member

Good thinking, Andy! All I did for mine was create a cross section of the shape of the rim, then revolve it on the Y axis. For the tuning rod holes I just created one from a cylinder, used the boolian to make a hole and then repeated it around the rim. The whole rim is actually different to this; I've gone for a cast design, as opposed to rolled, as this design is, which made it much easier to make.

Doesn't look as nice, but it is a whole lot easier, lol!