Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st September 2010, 06:49 PM   #1
David Ray

Question Recentering Camera when building

Hello all... I am an SL builder and now using AC3D for a couple weeks... I am having a blast but there are a couple of things that I am not seeing how to do.
1) move the camera focus (center) on the object I am building so I can ratchet into details etc.
2) Can polygon model be successfully exported to SL? I see threads saying that if UV mapping is applied it might work... and I understand the SL model cannot have any holes, but I (as of yet) have found a definitive answer as to whether this can be done
3) I tried the triangle importer for objects into sl which was cool except the prim count was wayyyy out there.. I am hoping (a long shot I know) that there is away of bringing the triangles into sl and then making them a single prim... is that possible?

Thanks
David Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Re: Recentering Camera when building

I don't think this is about your camera. Depending on how close you need to get, one of the keys to this is getting your field of view (FOV) set so that you can get in real tight in the 3D window.

In your File > Settings... > 3D View tab, set the Default FOV very low (>5) and that will allow you to zoom and spin in close. At some point, however, some objects will begin to "disappear" as you get into close view. In those cases, start "hiding" other larger items, or just hide everything but the one or two items you're working with.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 02:16 AM   #3
David Ray

Thanks! that did help alot... but for instance, I am modeling a space craft, adn I need to be able to center in on a specific area or part, 3d window with and wokr in that space. Now in I am moving the model to the center of the XYZ when I need to work on an area. I would rather keep the model in once place and work on say the exhaust, the move the camera to the intakes recenter and work there, than have to constantly reposition the model...does that make sense?
Thank you for your assistance!!!!
Old 2nd September 2010, 03:53 AM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

You can use Look-at in the view menu (on top of the 3d window) but you probably want 'fit' - press f. This will center the view around what you have selected. Adjust the view center with the middle mouse button and dragging.

SL doesn't (yet) support polygon objects. You'll need to look into sculpties - probably best to search on here and look at the Inivis page http://www.inivis.com/secondlifesculpted.html. The texture mapping is important for it to work, so it's best to start with the sample SL objects that come with AC3D.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:11 PM   #5
David Ray

Andy Thank you! that did it. I seem to be able to make simple objects and import them into SL with successfully... but the more complex shapes (started as the sl objects within ac3d) do not work... is there a limit to the number of subdivided faces that can be on the model for importing? Also I save the same model to a obj then imported to Maya and while it did import, the model did not have the same faces...
Thank you !
Old 2nd September 2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

In Second Life sculpties, the tga image file describes the shape, the polygons are not transfered at all. You'll find it useful to read/watch Lisa's stuff on here for tips on how to best get it working.

Obj should be fine for getting stuff into Maya but check the direction the surfaces are facing. In AC3D, make them single-sided (1S button) or show normals, press 'n'. Then you can tell if the model is what you want (some software will display single sided polys by default so the model may look corrupt if the normals are wrong).

If you find a real problem, post a message about it (preferably with images/files).
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 11:05 PM   #7
Sharpy
Advanced member

If I am understanding you camera angle/focus correctly....
select the part you wish to work on and hit the f key. It will re-set the camera to focus on that specific part.
Sharpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 12:16 AM   #8
David Ray

Thanks.. !

Tags
recentering camera, second life