Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd April 2008, 02:31 AM   #1
Severa
Advanced member

Default plane sculpt type script fpr sculpted prims

I noticed with Maya there was a way to use a script that uses some plane mapping instead of a sphere and the details can hold better with those, I had just seem some examples. Is there anything like this for AC3D, or is anyone working on something like this? It looks like with a plane surface you just be make the front half of say a head and you wouldn't waste any verticles on the back, so it would let you get more detail out of it.

Last edited by Severa; 23rd April 2008 at 02:38 AM.
Severa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 02:58 AM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: plane sculpt type script fpr sculpted prims

Nothing special required in AC3D to do it... just planar map your object and use the same exporter as usual. You'll need an LSL script to switch the sculpt mode.

Like so:

Code:
{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_TYPE, PRIM_TYPE_SCULPT,"your-texture-name-or-uuid", PRIM_SCULPT_TYPE_PLANE]);
    }
}
Here's a tablecloth I did that way: (Just a plain old divided plane with a scalloped edge, draped.)
Attached Images

lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 03:05 AM   #3
Severa
Advanced member

I'll try this now. I am just not sure I am using the TCE right then. I select the faces and scale it to stretch inside the black box in the TCE then i just close the TCE and do nothing else.

Next I go to object, commit subdivisions and export as sculpted prim type but even if I don't use the TCE the map always looks the same. Is there something that's supposed to be clicked in the TCE after scaling it? Even if I don't use the commit subs option and just export with the TCE open, after I rescaled the area I want more detail from the map looks the same as if I didn't even bother doing that. This is my curse. I don't understand what's going on there.

I am sorry I post a lot of questions and ask you so much. These are also things people I work with that use AC3D are trying to figure out as well. I think this tool is the right route, I just am trying to get all the details clear.
Old 23rd April 2008, 03:10 PM   #4
lisa
Professional user

No problem. Questions are *always* welcome.

Sometimes in the TCE if you have a subdivided model, it doesn't always pick up the texture changes unless you click "Refresh Subdivisions" on the "Edit" menu of the TCE. If you're having problems where it looks like the map isn't changing, it's probably that.

One way to test and make sure that it's updating correctly is to throw a checkerboard pattern onto your model so you can see the texture layout easier. If the map is updated, you should see it change in the subdivision preview in the 3D window.

This is my UV map for the tablecloth so you can see what it looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tablecloth-uv.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	907  

Old 23rd April 2008, 03:22 PM   #5
lisa
Professional user

Here it is again with the texture applied.

Again, I started with a simple divided plane. I scalloped the edges--which I replicated with the replicator tool--and then mapped the whole thing while it was still flat. You'll notice in the UV map, that even though the scalloped edges are round in the model, they are pulled into a perfect square in the map so there are no gaps. After I mapped it, I draped the tablecloth and then committed my subdivisions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tablecloth-with-texture.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	909  

Old 23rd April 2008, 08:06 PM   #6
Severa
Advanced member

Thanks for those posts. Yeah my TCE looks the same. Just when I do a face being that it's the front view port it's appearing off to the lower right side so it's hard to stretch it out to achieve more details. Unless mapping it first then bringing it back in to be stretched out in the TCE is the proper method?

These are the steps I'm doing, maybe this is wrong:

1. Uvmap button. I assume if I started with a sphere as a head, I would check Shape Mapping as Spherical? I'm unsure about any of the other settings in that menu.

2. I hit Export UVMap

3. I just put a basic texture on in Photoshop at this point. I can't seem to get the Bake option to do anything like say opening the OBJ in Zbrush and backing the texture in there then fixing it up in photoshop.. If this Bake option in AC3D is actually able to do that too, I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

4. I import that Texture back in (Object>texture load texture)

5. I then shift the verticles around inside the TCE so I can get the main details as big as possible on the map to achieve better detail in Second Life.

That's basically what I am doing. I'm not sure if I am doing this right or how to get the bake option to work right. If I have to place lights first, I'm unsure how to. I know how in Maya but I've been away from this type of thing for awhile, so I don't remember the proper steps and as for in AC3D, I am totally clueless how to get the Bake option/button, to do anything.

Last edited by Severa; 23rd April 2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 24th April 2008, 08:59 PM   #7
Severa
Advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa View Post
Here it is again with the texture applied.

Again, I started with a simple divided plane. I scalloped the edges--which I replicated with the replicator tool--and then mapped the whole thing while it was still flat. You'll notice in the UV map, that even though the scalloped edges are round in the model, they are pulled into a perfect square in the map so there are no gaps. After I mapped it, I draped the tablecloth and then committed my subdivisions.
I also has this to add, where are those weird "cap" pieces that always seem to show in my maps? Maybe since I use the box a lot that's why I see them. It's repeating it in the TCE on some of my stuff which is making it hard to really understand what is going on there.
Old 27th April 2008, 10:16 AM   #8
lisa
Professional user

1. UV map button... the options in there determine the mapping mode. Imagine a big rubber sheet in the shape of whatever option you picked shrink-wrapping your model. Spherical is an okay choice for a head, cylindrical around the y axis is often better.

2. Make any adjustments to the uvs coordinates before you export.

3. Sorry for any confusion on the baker. To clarify... the AC3D texture baker is more akin to Lightwave than ZBrush or Maya, in that it will bake one texture to another. (ZBrush actually bakes vertex colors\material shaders to the map. Maya bakes lights.) It's not meant for lighting so much as transfering textures between different sets of texture coordinates. MegaPOV is a good choice for baking lights.

Can you post a picture to explain what you mean by "caps" ?

Thanks.