Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd July 2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Merrie
Expert member

Question Best Way To Handle Model Angle?

Im modeling a bunker I would like to ask Lisa or anyone else with good experience with AC3D. As you can see in the picture the side of the bunker is slightly angled out so here are the questions.

1 - I took a box and divided it for the side, would you recommend a better way of doing this or is that fine.

2 - Should I weld the side and top verts? When it is best to do this or not?

3 - When is it best to group?

4 - In order to use in Unity engine I have to use very large sizes such as W 739 H 341 D 863, is there a way to adjust the units so they are not so huge? Or does it matter?

5 - To export for Unity I have to use .3ds and then the Autodesk converter to move that to FBX (The current project Im working on requires FBX) is there any model breakdown or setting I should adjust for this conversion?

Thank you so much!
Attached Images

Merrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Merrie
Expert member

Default Re: Best Way To Handle Model Angle?

I figured this out, snap to vertex aids you with lining up your edges.
Merrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 04:50 PM   #3
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Best Way To Handle Model Angle?

Glad you figured out the snap thing. :-)

For your other questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrie View Post
1 - I took a box and divided it for the side, would you recommend a better way of doing this or is that fine.
The way you did it is fine! I usually start with a box for nearly everything.

Quote:
2 - Should I weld the side and top verts? When it is best to do this or not?
Yes, definitely weld the vertices. Especially for real-time models, you'll get better performance if you weld as many shared vertices as possible. In addition, watch things like T-joints if you can. This can cause texture warping and "sparkling" along the joint. (see image below)

Quote:
3 - When is it best to group?
Grouping is mostly for your own convenience, unless you're using one of the plugins (such as X-Plane or Poser) that uses the grouping to build an animation hierarchy. I'm not sure what Unity does with grouping, if anything.

Quote:
4 - In order to use in Unity engine I have to use very large sizes such as W 739 H 341 D 863, is there a way to adjust the units so they are not so huge? Or does it matter?
The units don't really matter. If you go into the AC3D settings panel, you can change the grid size, which helps. Also, the 'f' key will re-focus the camera to whatever you have selected, which is sometimes helpful when you have something very small or very large you are working with. Another tactic if you don't want to change the defaults is model the object at whatever size feels comfortable and scale the whole thing when you're done.
Attached Images

lisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angle, converting, fbx, format, model