Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Work In Progress / Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th January 2006, 01:04 PM   #1
luuckyy
Professional user

Default Small building

Tried AC3D for modelling a small building ...

from the beginning in AC3D :

to the end in Gile[s] :

Cheers !
luuckyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Dennis
Professional user

Looking good luuckyy.

Are you happy with Giles as a lightmapper/renderer? Are you able to apply the base textures in AC3D without re-applying them in Giles?

Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2006, 10:19 AM   #3
luuckyy
Professional user

Thanks Dennis.

Yes I'm very happy with Gile[s] for all my lightmap works (and also for the trees plugin).
In that special case I've done all the texturing job in another app (DeleD).

OL.
Old 18th January 2007, 11:06 AM   #4
ggunhouse

Default Re: Small building

I have been trying to use Gile[s] to light models created with AC3D for use with Blink 3D (www.pelicancrossing.com), but I've been having lots of problems. Since you are having success with AC3D and Gile[s], perhaps you can help me.
I had been having problems importing my AC3D models into Gile[s] directly, and was advised by someone months ago that it might work better if I exported them from AC3D to DirectX, and then opened the DirectX version in Gile[s]. However, this always results in my textures being flipped horizontally. I have gone back to importing the AC3D files directly into Gile[s], but I find I always have to flip the mesh and recalculate the normals. Plus, all my 1-sided surfaces end up 2-sided in Gile[s] (if I go the DirectX route, the 1-sided surfaces stay 1-sided). For the model to work correctly in Blink 3D, the surfaces have to be 1-sided, so I really need to solve that problem. In addition, when I import one of my large AC3D-built models in DirectX format, its various parts end up disassociated from one another (the roof of a building does not match up with its walls, and the floor is somewhere else again). The same model imports fine if I load the AC3D file directly (except that all the surfaces are 2-sided).
If you (or anyone in this forum) can advise me on the best way to get my AC3D models into Gile[s], preserving the directions of normals, the orientation of textures, and the 1-sideness of surfaces, I'd appreciate it. I'm hoping there are just a couple of options boxes that I'm neglecting to click.

Last edited by ggunhouse; 22nd January 2007 at 01:03 PM.
ggunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 01:54 PM   #5
luuckyy
Professional user

Default Re: Small building

Hi,
first this link just in case :
http://www.frecle.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=542

I'm not using Gile(s) often (curious about the update "soon to come" though), and I think I've never directly imported an AC file into that lightmapper.

Now, as far as I can remember, I did use another app to texturize the building.
That app is called DeleD (I probably exported an OBJ file from AC3D to load into DeleD).
From DeleD I'm pretty sure I've exported a B3D file (Blitz 3D native file format), and imported that B3D file into Gile(s) with no problem.
But I can tell for sure for 1/2 sided surfaces.

There's a free version of DeleD (LITE), and the B3D exporter is also free :
http://www.delgine.com/index.php
http://www.delgine.com/plugins/viewP...desc=Exporters

Now I also know Ultimate Unwrap 3D that is able to import AC files and export B3D files, but it's not free (google it).

HTH

Last edited by luuckyy; 18th January 2007 at 01:58 PM.