Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 27th January 2024, 01:35 AM   #1
LordFelis

Smile Direct X importer

Greetings,

Just wanted to know if you will be adding a .X importer to Ac3d for those people still working with .x models?

Regards,

LordFelis
LordFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2024, 04:54 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Direct X importer

Check menu Help->About-Importers. AC3D imports .x files. The problem is that many exporters output .x in different ways, which makes import difficult.

AC3D uses Assimp - see this for comments on the Direct X support:
https://assimp.sourceforge.net/formats/X.html
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2024, 05:38 AM   #3
LordFelis

Hi Andy,

On the features page , it doesn’t say .x importer supported only export. But I see on another page where you have the 64 bit 8.3 version of AC3D it shows the new file formats supported. By the way I don’t have the software as yet. So that’s why I asked the question. I have been following the developments of the software for a long time. I see some old file formats that are supported like .md2 and 3D gamestudio’s .mdl file format and the fbx file format. Which is a positive step forward for those tools �� to still be used. Which is great news. Maybe down the track I will buy your software. Also I see that the .ndo file format from the old nendo software is supported I wonder �� if your importer can import nendo successfully because wings3d can’t it crashes the program.
Also assimp I have used in the past but sadly it’s not been updated in 8 years I have the last version of the binaries from around 2010 or 2011.

Regards,

LordFelis

Last edited by LordFelis; 27th January 2024 at 05:41 AM. Reason: More to add
Old 27th January 2024, 06:00 AM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Ooops - thanks, features page fixed.

If the file formats are unchanged (and many are static), Assimp is still good 8)

I'd suggest downloading the AC3D demo and giving it a go.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2024, 09:30 AM   #5
LordFelis

Ok I will take a look �� at the demo version of the program. Also maybe �� you should do a new updated list of the 3D file formats on the features page. Also the .ase importer isn’t ticked either.

As for assimp I found that it was a great program years ago hence the reason why I downloaded it and used it back then. Pity it’s no being worked on anymore.

However I did find another program that’s similar but I just can’t remember it off the top of my head. The answer will come to me in due course.

Regards,

LordFelis

Last edited by LordFelis; 27th January 2024 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Error in wording