Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th March 2005, 05:17 AM   #1
semar

Default Child object access from within Blitz3D

Hi all,
this is my very first post, so please be kind

I'm using AC3D since few days, and so far I'm very happy with the features, and the user-friendly approach.

However, since I'm quite a newbie, I'm currently stuck accessing the objects from an extern program.

I try to explain me better.

I want to develop a slot machine game. So I build a slot machine model from within AC3D, which consists of one chassis and three wheels.

Thus I create three objects: a box, and three cylinders wheel_1, wheel_2, and wheel_3.

I set the correct name for each object by filling the object name text box (down left of the AC3D window), then I export the model as a .3DS, since AC3D does not export to B3D (Blitz3D) format.

From within Blitz3D program I can successfully load the .3DS model using LoadAnimMesh, but I can't access to each single object, for example a wheel. [I use the statement: child = FindChild (Mesh, "wheel_1") ]

I want to access to each wheel, because I want to rotate it, as it happens in a real slot machine.

I've found a workaround to this:
- load the .3DS model into Milkshape
- set a joint on each center of the wheels
- assign each joint to the vertices of each wheel
- export the model to .B3D.

So now I can access to each joint from within Blitz, and when I rotate a joint, the associated wheel rotates accordingly.

The question: is there any other method simpler than that ? Fact is, when I want modify the model from within AC3D - which I find much more intuitive than Milkshape - then I have to export to .3DS, import in Milkshape, create and position the joints - and that is already a frustrating task because I can't find any snap-to-grid feature in Milkshape - , finally export it to .B3D format... :shock:

Would be nice to gain access to each object from the exported .3DS, but perhaps the .3DS does not contain such a feature ?

Could someone help me ? Oh, and sorry for the long post !

Sergio.
semar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2005, 06:41 AM   #2
StuC
Advanced member

Blitz doesnt cope with 3DS files particularly well. Your best to export the file as a .X (until we get a B3D exporter).

For each wheel I would export them out seperatly as 3 .X files and not part of the whole machine.

This gives you instant access to the reels rather than having to setup children etc......
Old 17th March 2005, 04:19 AM   #3
semar

Default Yes but...

Thanks StuC for your reply.

Yes one way would be to create each component of whole 'world' - in this case the slot machine - as separated models, so to have full control over it.

Anyway, this task results rather uncomfortable with worlds made with lots of objects, and also positioning each of it in the program which uses that models would not be such a trivial task.

In fact I have to keep track of the position of each object in the world, then reposition the object at 0,0,0 in AC3D before export it, otherwise when I rotate it from within the host program, it will rotate along a wrong axis.

This is in some way unpractical, and leaves room for errors and approximations.

More, try to imagine the following scenario: a model of a military ship, whit lots of turrets, antennas and cannons to be turned indipendently.

Would be really useful to have the possibility to set joints in this case - as Milkshape does - and assign vertices to that, so later I can - from within the Blitz3D program - find and rotate each joint and hey presto, the turrets turn while remaining correctly placed in regard of the ship.

Sergio.
semar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 06:15 AM   #4
StuC
Advanced member

Try loading in using LOADANIMMESH rather than LOADMESH.

More details http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/c...s.php?code=796

hope this clears it up