Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd April 2013, 04:19 AM   #1
Globalempire

Default Adding detail

Hello

I have had ac3d for a long time but I have hardly used it till recently. As a bit of practice I am making a nice easy model, a computer mouse.

Can one of you ac3d geniuses give me a tip on how to add detail, in this case I am trying to make the mouse buttons and need to create faces so that I can extrude them to make the outlines of the buttons.

I have tried booleans and adding vertices to existing faces but when moving the new vertices into position to make the shape of the buttons of course the smooth shape of the mouse is spoiled.

Just a clue as to which tool(s) would be best to use would be handy, I can experiment from there.

Many thanks

Paul

Last edited by Globalempire; 23rd April 2013 at 06:18 AM.
Globalempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:58 AM   #2
KenH

Default Re: Adding detail

Hello Paul,

I am not sure how you are modelling the mouse, but presumably you are generating a mesh. You mention adding vertices. These should be added using the <vertex - insert vertex> command (vertex mode, control-shift I) between two existing vertices on your mesh. This will add a vertex between the two you originally selected, and will be part of the object.

Then use the "move toward" plug-in, and do not attempt to move the vertex by hand. In that way you can "slide" the new vertex towards one of the previously selected vertices and it will follow the edge of the existing face between those two vertices, thus maintaining the shape. You can then add a line (vertex mode control-shift-L) between your new vertex and any other within the boundary of the same surface to divide it into smaller surfaces.

Then when you have your mouse button outlined, select its surface and use the "extrude by normal" function.

I am sorry if I have misunderstood and you already are familiar with this. For me the "move toward" plug-in is the key for most operations in AC3D to maintain accuracy where your objects or faces do not align with the principle x, y, and z axes.

Regards
Ken
KenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Globalempire

Default Re: Adding detail

Thanks for the tips Ken.

I was going to try move towards next, I didn't know the vertex would actually move along the line. What a great plugin.

Paul

PS Love the latest renders of your submersible support vessel, very nice.
Globalempire is offline   Reply With Quote