Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st June 2004, 12:54 PM   #1
cenla

Default Is AC3D right for me?

Needing advice from people who have used this program before I buy!

I need to "build" a warehouse - 100'x150' - to include offices, breakrooms, storage rooms, bathrooms, entrance doors, overhead doors, stairs, windows, etc. I also need to show electrical, plumbing and security. In addition (as if that wasn't enough. LOL!) I'd like to be able to do outside layouts of work sites - mainly tents - on gridlines.

It's hard to get passed some of the company hype of their product and find out if this program does what I need. I have one of the Punch products but it's not suited to what the job at hand.

And and all suggestions, comments, warnings, tips or whatever are welcome!
Thanks .....
cenla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2004, 01:07 PM   #2
foxa
Professional user

I have been using AC3D for about 1 1/2 years and it is the best program I have used for its purpose, unfortunately while I do consider it to be the best modeling program available in its price range (and then some) I do not think Andys intention was to use AC3D as a CAD program (help me out Andy). It can certainly be done - units of measurement can be used and even exported to a full blown CAD program. On the plus side, I think AC3D would have a smaller learning curve than the CAD programs.

Good Luck

Art
foxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2004, 03:40 PM   #3
Newbee

Short learning curve, sophisticated enough to produce complicated shapes, texturing, the ability to use and/or write your own plugins and the capability to export to various formats makes it a gem, IMHO.

Sure there are a bunch of programs that can do each of the above better and offer more features but this program packages features that are very useful and convenient for certain applications.

So, it depends to some extent on your application. At the same time, I have used the program for about a couple of weeks now and I wont be exagerating when I say AC3D is extremely useful for my purposes.
Newbee is offline   Reply With Quote