Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd December 2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Default The ver. 7 LSCM unwrapping

Since I bought a license for the latest ver. 7 I've tried to figure out the LSCM unwrapping. What I need to do is to adjust the texture mapping of (a group of) individual surfaces on a curved object. I can do this fairly well the old way by selecting surfaces and then skewing / repositioning / rotating in Texture Coordinate Editor. When I click the LSCM unwrap I basically get back to a fresh remapping of the surfaces from a (near) perpendicular angle (bottom or top for a bottom surface). When I resize, move, rotate and flip (as required) this green selection I get to where I would be with any other individual fresh selection / dedicated surface texture adjustment. Am I missing some new handles here? There should be more to the LSCM unwrapping unless my selected areas are too close to being a straight "bottom" mapping in the first place, thus not requiring LSCM.

We may need a revised online manual or a tutorial on this one, unless it's already there and I've failed to spot it. This is my current challenge: I have a globally mapped model that needs individual mapping of a few problem areas. As I've added details to the texture (rivets etc) I noticed that the global mapping was insufficient.
Hans_Petter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 01:00 PM   #2
jentron
Professional user

Default Re: The ver. 7 LSCM unwrapping

You've read these two threads, I assume:

http://www.inivis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6657
http://www.inivis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6666

I've had better luck with LSCM by doing the surfaces in passes. That is, trying to make sure my surfaces can be folded out flat by omitting surfaces to make seams, or unwelding vertexes to make seams.

Some method of pinning is needed, too.

Ron
jentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Default Re: The ver. 7 LSCM unwrapping

Yes, I've read those threads but my understanding may be limited. It just dawned on me that there are two ways to go about this, namely adjusting the texture area / orientation of specific surfaces versus adjusting the texture to fit the unwrapped surfaces. The latter will produce a texture with an "exploded view" of some adjacent surfaces.

Until now I've made the best out of straight side view textures--while I've used TCE to adjust the texture area for troublesome surfaces I haven't thought of tailoring the textures to fit the mapping. Does the proper use of LSCM involve re-editing of the texture?
Hans_Petter is offline   Reply With Quote