Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th July 2006, 07:11 PM   #11
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

Default Re: AC3D Review

can the same method be used to create space ships.
nightoftheroundtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 07:40 PM   #12
Dennis
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightoftheroundtable
can the same method be used to create space ships.
While it may often be easier to use other methods (thinking solid block extrusion, particularly), I can't see why this method would not work for spaceships --- definitely would work best (along with subdivisions) for smooth/organic shapes...
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 07:50 PM   #13
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

ooh speaking of organics I found somthing that thor might like. I was up late last night and stumbled upon this. while looking through websites.
http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorial...n_arach_01.asp

you want organic check out this robotic spider
Old 28th July 2006, 09:10 PM   #14
DRAKELOT
Professional user

Fantastic video Dennis !!!
DRAKELOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 09:13 PM   #15
DRAKELOT
Professional user

Cool Arach-Bot, Daniel !!!
DRAKELOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 10:10 PM   #16
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

I wish I could say I made it. lol if that where so then my work in ship making would have drastically improved.
Old 3rd August 2006, 01:10 PM   #17
jclark

First off, please accept my apologies for not responding. I've been terribly swamped and my ignorance in setting the notification replies option on the forum.

First of all, I suppose I need to clear up the controversy over the 'minutes' I spent. If I recall, that mess I modeled was maybe 15 minutes work. Dennis is correct that it is the edge extrusion method.

The way I started was with the eye, using the poly tool I created the eye shape and then edge extruded the circumference. Delete the internal polygon and then move on the rest. Once you are comfortable with edge loops and such you somewhat know where you're going. I've done a few heads and I follow the same steps, which is why I am still not good at it. However, the shapes are feeling easy to do but again when you've done it a few times it's not so bad.

Dennis is correct, I did very little vertex pushing and tweaking.

I have completed my review and I've posted it on SDM. I do have some edits to do, thanks to Andy, but all in all I feel I've portrayed the tool well.

AC3D Review

I really think AC3D is a fun tool to use and as I've illustrated it can be used with the best of other modelers. Andy confirms that most of what I've suggested for the product is on it's way and in some aspects is working in some development code.

I encourage you to participate on our forum in addition to this one, if not only to raise awareness of AC3D. I'm glad my thread stirred up some activity.

Respectfully,

Jason
jclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 01:12 PM   #18
jclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
While it may often be easier to use other methods (thinking solid block extrusion, particularly), I can't see why this method would not work for spaceships --- definitely would work best (along with subdivisions) for smooth/organic shapes...
I agree. For more free form shapes however I still prefer the edge extrusion method. However the key is keeping the polycount to the minimum to save on lumps and unexpected artifacts. Vertex smoothing is your friend there but it can be a pain because it will cause your topology to shift.
Old 5th August 2006, 03:57 PM   #19
Dennis
Professional user

Great review Jason --- shows AC3D in the positive light it deserves while still pointing out the areas where it needs improving.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2006, 07:56 PM   #20
jclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
Great review Jason --- shows AC3D in the positive light it deserves while still pointing out the areas where it needs improving.
Thanks Dennis. I hope to see a future release of AC3D with the improvements it needs. For those just breaking into modeling, I can think of any reason not to recommend AC3D, and when it gets the improvements recommend by it's users it's the icing on the cake.

To be honest, I would like to see more press from Inivis that showcases more models that would match in calibre you see from the likes of modo, silo and lightwave. This would go a long way to qualify the application and break it out of the 'underdog, for novice user' mold.