Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th September 2007, 01:10 AM   #1
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

Default filling in a hole

Say you make a globe and cut away half of it, and then slice away a small hole in the center of the remaining half, by deleting ONE vertix at te pole. This will delete several SURFACES that shared that one pixel, and would have created a HOLE surrounded by surfaces of the object.

Now, I would like to be able to recreate all those surfaces that just got deleted by selecting a point near the one I deleted, and I hope there is a way for AC3D to figure out all the other vertices around the one I just created in order to make the now new surfaces. I don't want to UNDO, becase I am specifically trying to learn how to fill a hole in an object that I will encounter during my modelling, that will not be the result of a recent single deletion but will be an unintended consequence of other actions. Also, using the INSERT vertex only creates ONE new surface where one of the edges is the line onto which I inserted a new vertex. I would have to repeat the insert vertex action for all the surrounding edges, and I was hoping AC3D would have a way of doing that in one fell swoop for me.

I didn't see this feature described in either the manual or the online help. Can I do that?
jerrylynnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 02:08 AM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: filling in a hole

Hmmm... can you explain again what you are trying to do? I'm not sure I quite follow.

If your intention was to delete the vertex but not the surfaces, in effect, making the top of the sphere flat then the better way to do it is to select the surfaces, and then click "Combine" from the Surfaces menu.

The other way you could fill the hole would be to select the edge vertices in a counter-clockwise rotation, then once all were selected, choose Vertex > Create Ordered Surface. This will create a new polygon from the selected vertices.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 02:58 AM   #3
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

Default Re: filling in a hole

Lisa, your second suggestion is probably what I need (create ordered surface), but, I was hoping I woudn't have to select each of the edges one by one. What I envision is having a library of objects, some of which will have a "hole" in them already, and, I will want to fill in the hole. I was hoping I could some how identify the hole (by clicking within the hole), and then let the application find the surrounding edges and accopmlish what "create ordered surface" does.

But I guess selecting each edge is not so much work, so, that is a good solution.

Thanks
jerrylynnb is offline   Reply With Quote