Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th December 2003, 06:45 PM   #1
petez5

Default strange polygon behaviour

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help. I'm currently doing a university project in which my task is to model a real world scene in 3D. Not sure how many of you will be familiar with it but I am using a system called MAVERIK (http://aig.cs.man.ac.uk/maverik) developed by my university to formulate the scene having designed the buildings and things in AC3D. MAVERIK is able to import AC3D files directly.

My problem is this: I have completed a building in AC3D (image (scrappy screenshot!!) here. (The image is only of the part completed building without texture but you can get an impression of what I'm talking about.)

When I import it into MAVERIK however it looks odd. For instance at the top of the building there are arched shaped surrounds to the windows. Which are kind of a curly 'm' shape (as you can hopefully see in the image). This looks fine in the 3D view of AC3D but in my MAVERIK scene the shape is either appearing as a simple rectangle or as a kind of capital 'N' shape. Hence the windows aren't visible as the rectangle is just on top of them.
I tried exporting as some other filetypes...in VRML it looks fine, in DXF I have the same problem. I tried messing about with the vertex order and flipping normals but no change. Also tried subdividing.

I know this problem may not be anything AC3D related but if anyone has experienced anything similar and could help me out I'd be really grateful. I'm using AC3D version 3.[/url]
petez5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2003, 07:00 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: strange polygon behaviour

Can you give us a picture of how it appears in Maverik? A close up of the problem part would be good.

Guessing, you may have overlapping surfaces but a picture may help diagnose the problem.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2003, 07:18 PM   #3
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Peter - Manchester Uni are licenced for AC3D 4.0, so you should get that (unless you are running 3.0 on an SGI?)

Nice model by the way!

Andy
Old 6th December 2003, 07:08 AM   #4
petez5

hi andy,

you should find the maverik image here .
This version of the model is partly textured but both the textured and untextured versions exhibit the same problems.

Not sure about the version thing. I was provided with version 3 by Steve so assumed that was all we had available.
Old 6th December 2003, 07:08 AM   #5
petez5

o i'm not running an SGI btw
Old 6th December 2003, 10:49 AM   #6
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Steve should have AC3D 4.0 by now - get him to contact me if he hasn't.

I'm not sure what the problem is. If it's fine in AC3D but not in Maverick then I assume it's Maverik's fault. Could it be that the polygons are concave and Maverick's AC3D file loader doesn't handle concave polys?

Try triangulating the problem areas in AC3D before saving and see if that fixes it.

Andy

Keep us posted with your project - it looks great!
Old 9th December 2003, 11:27 AM   #7
petez5

thanks andy that seems to have done the trick.